White House Business Council Forum

Welcome to the White House Business Council Forum. The White House and the Administration consult with thousands of entrepreneurs and business owners each week in an effort to better understand the business climate and the individual experiences of those immersed in it. Our goal in all of our meetings is to:

1) get feedback on what we as and Administration can be doing more of less of to help spur job creation.

2) make sure that entrepreneurs and business owners know about and have access to the Administration programs and resources that can help them grow and succeed.

This forum was created as a complement to these programs and seeks to accomplish those same goals through an electronic medium.

Get more information about these new initiatives and tell us your ideas below!

Share your thoughts on the featured ideas above, or start a new discussion here

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. NY based company that grows all the food we currently imports, in year round, organic greenhouses, employing 537,000 paying $34,432/yr on av

Company Private Family held company in New York
    History 16 years of continuous, commercial operations in Israel
    Industry Commercial Organic Greenhouse Food Production
    Market 2,800 facilities in 44 states
    Jobs 518,000 (185 per greenhouse)
    Pay $34,434/avg ($11 to $50 per hour)

Brief With 16 years of success in a hot and dry desert, and 6 years of success in the cold and dark North Sea region (Netherlands), we know our greenhouse model will deliver predictable harvests in sold and dark Northern U.S. states and hot and dry Southern U.S. states.

Solving Systemic Economic and Environmental. Problems

Food Safety - While…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    • The Urban Economic Forum Held in Birmingham Alabama

The Urban Economic Forum was such an awesome event in Birmingham Alabama. There were open discussions, as well as positive feedbacks, opportunities to network and become and stay inspired. In every corner of the building, you can feel the energy and you can see the excitement on every face. The hunger was definitley there and the appetites were definitely feed.

Thank you Washington DC

9 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Do you have any entrepreneurial ideas? If so, what are they?

The Obama Administration, the White House Business Council, and the Small Business Administration are always looking for entrepreneurs with new and existing ideas. Small businesses are the crux of our economy and their development is crucial to our national economic success. If you have a good idea, but are hesitant to execute it, we can help you. This forum can be used to introduce new ideas and connect potential entrepeneurs with the appropriate federal resources.

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • What do you think is the greatest impediment to small business growth?

Small businesses face a variety of obstacles when they seek to establish themselves and grow. Although the Obama administration has tediously worked to remove those obstacles through providing access to programs, services, and resources,it understands that there is room for improvement.If they can identify what business owners think are the greatest impediments to their success, they will be better equipped to modify and fortify existing programs, as well as develop new ones.

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Startup America: The President's startup and small business agenda

Startups and small businesses create the lion's share of new jobs, in every part of the country and in every industry. The President is taking action to ensure that America continues to be the best place in the world to turn an idea into a business. Tell us -- how will these actions affect your business?

First, the White House Startup America Initiative is a government-wide effort to expand access to capital, cut red tape, and accelerate innovation through executive action:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/startupamerica

Second, the President has unveiled a Startup America Legislative Agenda, urging Congress to expand tax relief and unlock…

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • 3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • The availability of finance, particularly for exports to the emerging and developing markets remains a significant challenge

As we push forward with exports we need to streamline the support that the government can provide. We can compete on quality, technology and with the proper support we can compete on the finance level.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Admin →
                • National Urban Innovation Fund

The White House, Commerce and SBA should encourage repatriation of a small portion of the $1.4 T that is currently parked on the sidelines in the private sector and capitalize a National Urban Innovation Fund that would serve as a Fund-of-Funds (FoF). The fund would operate via a co-investment strategy with local/regional angels and VC, including state-run VDOs, and offer leveraged capital for equity investments in startups and early stage companies in small, medium and large urban markets. This could also work in partnership with the Startup America Partnership as a complementary approach to provide real financial capital.

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello. My idea is to set aside special funding for biotech/med chem companies that are at the seed stage or early start-up stage.SBIR applications are way too long. Time is very important since many of us are wearing many hats. In addition patent fees could also be reduced.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      2 comments  ·  Technology  ·  Admin →
                    • Startup America Partnership: resources for startups

The Startup America Partnership is an alliance of entrepreneurs, major corporations, and service providers created in response to the President's call to action to accelerate startup success across the country. In just one year, the Partnership has mobilized over $1 billion in business resources to serve as many as 100,000 startups over the next three years.

As a nonprofit that is independent of the federal government, the Startup America Partnership targets these resources to young companies that want to grow rapidly. It's free to register and get access to these resources, from software to legal filings to marketing services.

http://www.startupamericapartnership.org/get-registered

2 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • It was a wonderful event. I spread the word to all my collegues how ingenious it was to bring together those speakers to encourage us

The participants at the forum also had a wealth of valuable information. I think a roster or a network ring of the all attended participants should be made available. This will allow us to communicate with those we didn't get a chance to meet and would like to make a valuable connection.

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

I am glad the White House cares about job creation.TEch incubator wet lab space can be expensive in places like NYC or NY state. Organizations that run these incubators should be subsidized from taxes on oil companies. Many investors like to see decreased risk and control of spending for new businesses .Thanks.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Which companies/industries are hiring in your area?

The Obama Administration is always interested in hearing about both the successes and difficulties that small businesses face. Are there any small, successful businesses or industries in your area? You might work for the company, own the company, or simply have heard about the company from a friend or two. This space can be used for advertising, marketing, or simply a forum to share insightful entrepreneurial ideas.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • What do you want to see on BusinessUSA?

Responding to feedback from business owners across the country, the Obama administration is launching BusinessUSA in early 2012. BusinessUSA is going to be a one-stop shop, online platform where businesses of all sizes can access services and information to help them grow and hire.

To ensure that it is oriented towards the needs of the customer, we want to make sure that the customers are involved in BusinessUSA's design. That's where you come in. Tell us how you would like this system to be structured, what you would like it to do and how you think it should work.

37 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • I am happy for my Business opportunity USA but I work all time for the people I use my beneficial money for the people. Thank you U.S.A

I am happy for my Business opportunity USA but I work all time for the people I use my beneficial money for the people. Thank you U.S.A

15 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Stop spending on NEW start ups. Help EXISTING small businesses.

Over the past three years a great deal of funding has gone to help train individuals to start small businesses. We need to help the small businesses who are stuck in the middle and have been ignored. I own a 22 year old business. We are tapped out on our line of credit, have a high commercial mortgage payment on an office that is mostly empty, have given up my salary to keep employees, and loaned the business money to make staff payroll and pay bills. I know dozens of owners in the same position. We can't refinance or get…

2 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Admin →
                                  • Ideas for Executive Actions

Over the past few weeks, President Obama has announced a series of executive actions designed to strengthen the economy and help American businesses create jobs and compete in the global economy. These included orders to streamline research grants for entrepreneurs, make it easier for families to refinance their mortgages, and make it harder for graduates to default on their student loans.

We’re looking for more ideas like these, concrete actions that President Obama can take right now to create jobs and grow the economy, without waiting on Congress to write a bill or draft legislation. Tell us your ideas below!

7 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Creating Jobs Today Through Apparel

I have an idea for creating jobs overnight. If the Federal Government required that all departments were required to use a USA made apparel option before using an oversea product, not just cut and sew but knitting and spinning as well, we could see a huge impact in new/old jobs. This means that people would be coming off unemployment tomorrow. The Branches of The Military currently have this stipulation in place (the only reason we have large scale apparel manufacturing in our country still) but we could spread it into other departments. Where Federal Money is being spent, from Higher…

18 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Job Creation  ·  Admin →
                                      • Making the USPS a cooperative organization instead of the USPS functioning under its current structural model?

I think many of us have heard about the dilemma of the USPS. I have an idea about how to modify (and ultimately let the USPS keep running) their organization. Instead of the USPS operating under its current organizational structure, why not modify the USPS to making it a cooperative: an organization where the U.S. citizenry and the U.S. government can be "members" of the USPS, and ultimately guide its operations by the use of voting. For those reading my post and to those who are wanting to know what is a cooperative, let me briefly explain: according to the…

14 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Create Jobs

You can create jobs by streamlining the GSA Schedule application and award process. I am a small business owner. 80% of all jobs are created by small businesses. I make and sell high quality tripods for the US military and law enforcement here in the USA. It is difficult for US small business entities (SBE) to get on the GSA Schedule. With respect to the GSA, I suggest reducing or dispensing with the 10% price break and the $25k average 3-year annual sales requirements for US SBE with 10 or less employees. If I receive a GSA Schedule Award, I…

14 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)